TRICARE South
Mike P
2004-07-28 22:07:41 UTC
The Department of Defense (DoD) today announced the continuation of its
transformation to new military healthcare contractors and changes in
regional areas of responsibility.
On Aug. 1, 2004, Tricare-eligible beneficiaries in Alabama,
Florida, Georgia, eastern Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and
Tennessee transition to the Tricare South Region. These locations formerly
comprised the Southeast and Gulf South Regions (Regions 3 and 4). This is
the third major transition to new regions and new contracts announced by the
department, including the initial transition of parts of the West Region on
June 1 and parts of the North Region on July 1.

According to Dr. William Winkenwerder Jr., assistant secretary
of defense for health affairs, “Through these new and competitively awarded
contracts we offer our beneficiaries a suite of services that provide the
highest quality of care and a high level of customer service. These
qualities of Tricare also make it a world-class, value-added benefit of
military service.”

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2004/nr20040728-1065.html
ssnark@bangserver.na
2004-07-28 22:14:52 UTC
Post by Mike P
contracts we offer our beneficiaries a suite of services that provide the
highest quality of care and a high level of customer service. These
qualities of Tricare also make it a world-class, value-added benefit of
military service."
http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2004/nr20040728-1065.html
In words heard at or after many a briefing, "Save the watches, the people
have already drowned".
Anyone got an IBS? We'll need it to navigate through the morass of BS that
Tricare was and becomes even more of as we move away from taking care of
military personnel for life to rationed care for military personnel for
life. Next we'll probably see Dandy Don's new transformation that will have
military personnel euthanized if the become disabled or too old so as to
save even more money in the DoD from being spent on them.

Snark
Mike P
2004-07-28 22:45:28 UTC
Post by Mike P
[...]
The word from TRICARE is watch as the contracts cost more your payments for
prime, and other things are going to go up as well. Knowing that they will
increase far more than any pay raise or cost of living you may be living on
less each year. They made it a point to say benifits will not change at this
time, but nothing on how they may later. All ready services at Military
Hosp. have reduced some services used. Like eye care or glasses, OBGYN,
hearing which is need most by retired, and family members. Dental is all but
gone for everyone but active duty, and that may be soon contracted out for
them.

Mike
ssnark@bangserver.na
2004-07-29 01:23:12 UTC
Post by Mike P
Post by Mike P
Post by Mike P
comprised the Southeast and Gulf South Regions (Regions 3 and 4).
This
Post by Mike P
is
Post by Mike P
military personnel euthanized if the become disabled or too old so as to
save even more money in the DoD from being spent on them.
Snark
The word from TRICARE is watch as the contracts cost more your payments for
prime, and other things are going to go up as well. Knowing that they will
increase far more than any pay raise or cost of living you may be living on
less each year. They made it a point to say benifits will not change at this
time, but nothing on how they may later. All ready services at Military
Hosp. have reduced some services used. Like eye care or glasses, OBGYN,
hearing which is need most by retired, and family members. Dental is all but
gone for everyone but active duty, and that may be soon contracted out for
them.
Mike
I know, it took me two months just before I retired to get an appointment
for a root canal and that's generally not considered to be routine dental
work.
As far as Tricare goes, thus far I've never been able to get an appointment
when I needed to see someone. So, have often paid for private care
out-of-pocket as Tricare paid almost none of the bills.

Snark
Mike P
2004-07-29 02:14:27 UTC
Post by Mike P
Post by Mike P
Post by Mike P
Post by Mike P
Post by Mike P
Post by Mike P
comprised the Southeast and Gulf South Regions (Regions 3 and 4).
This
Post by Mike P
is
Post by Mike P
Post by Mike P
the third major transition to new regions and new contracts
announced
Post by Mike P
by
Post by Mike P
Post by Mike P
the
Post by Mike P
department, including the initial transition of parts of the West
Region
Post by Mike P
Post by Mike P
on
Post by Mike P
Post by Mike P
gone for everyone but active duty, and that may be soon contracted out for
them.
Mike
I know, it took me two months just before I retired to get an appointment
for a root canal and that's generally not considered to be routine dental
work.
As far as Tricare goes, thus far I've never been able to get an appointment
when I needed to see someone. So, have often paid for private care
out-of-pocket as Tricare paid almost none of the bills.
Snark
The head dental surg. at Fort Bragg (JFK area) is now at Bay Pines, VA. He
was telling me about the new contractors that are moving in there across
from burger king. It's like watching a bad soap on TV when they do this
stuff.
TRICARE what can you say except they have found a way to take services away
that we were told would be there for us. Unless you pay for prime you will
be lucky to be seen at all in a Military Hosp., and it will cost you if you
have to use it away from there.

Mike
ZombyWoof
2004-07-29 11:42:56 UTC
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:23:12 GMT, "***@bangserver.na"
<ssnark-no-spam-@earthlink.net> wrote something wonderfully witty:
<snip>
Post by ***@bangserver.na
I know, it took me two months just before I retired to get an appointment
for a root canal and that's generally not considered to be routine dental
work.
As far as Tricare goes, thus far I've never been able to get an appointment
when I needed to see someone. So, have often paid for private care
out-of-pocket as Tricare paid almost none of the bills.
Snark
I have never ever had a problem with TriCare paying what they are
supposed to. When using a facility that accepts TriCare it works
really great. This year I have hit my family maximum and now
everything is free. No more co-pays or deductibles.
--
Money is the root of all evil. And man needs roots.

Zombywoof
Dave Thompson
2004-07-29 15:47:19 UTC
Post by ***@bangserver.na
Post by Mike P
Post by ***@bangserver.na
Post by Mike P
[...]
If you are paying for care because you cannot get an appointment at a
military clinic/hospital, you are ripping yourself off. Even if you don't
have Tricare Prime, you can see any doctor you desire and request Tricare
Standard reimbursement. It pays at the same rate as Medicare.

You pay no premiums for Tricare Standard. It is the old Champus program.
ssnark@bangserver.na
2004-07-29 19:01:24 UTC
Post by Dave Thompson
Post by ***@bangserver.na
Post by Mike P
Post by ***@bangserver.na
Post by Mike P
[...]
Which is almost none of the cost of care.
Post by Dave Thompson
You pay no premiums for Tricare Standard. It is the old Champus program.
Right.